Saturday, March 22, 2014

Braised Cinnamon Pork with Prunes

Let me just put this out there - I am not a pork fan. It's usually dry, fatty, salty, just doesn't hit the spot. Tonight I finally tried this "pork and prune" dish of my mother-in-laws that my husband has been asking me to make. I wasn't very excited about making it. Pork? Bleh. Prunes? Gross. But being my mother-in-law's recipe, I should have known it would have been good. I ate my entire serving of pork, when usually I can only stomach a bite or two of the stuff. It was great. 



1 Loin Pork Roast, pulled and tied (2.5 lbs)
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
1 Tbs Butter
2 Medium Onions finely chopped
1 Cinnamon stick 2 inches long
1.5 cups chicken stock (about 1 can)
1 cup dried pitted prunes
2 Tbs mild honey
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Heat oil and butter in a heavy le creuset type dish
Pat your loin dry with paper towels
season all sides with salt and pepper
Brown on all sides in pan
Remove from pan, add onions and sauté (season onions with salt and pepper as well)
Return pork back to pan, add water and cinnamon. 
Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 90 minutes (turning meat from time to time)
Add prunes to liquid, cover, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes
Stir honey into liquid, basting pork as you go for about 5 minutes
Transfer meat to plate, remove prunes to a bowl
Cook sauce until thickened, add lemon juice, add prunes back to sauce and season to taste
Arrange pork slices and spoon sauce over pork
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment