Sunday, August 4, 2013

Orange Almond Salad

We were invited over to a dinner party this week and contributed a salad to the meal. I may be alone in this, but I always like to watch to see how big of a portion people take of what I bring, and how quickly they consume it. Based on my weird food voyeurism at this party, the salad was a hit! 


1 Large Head Red Leaf Lettuce
1 Red Onion Thinly Sliced
2 Oranges Peeled and Thinly Sliced
1 Small Jicama Peeled and Cut Into Julienne Slices
4 Oz. Sliced Almonds
3 Tbs Sugar

Dressing:
1/2 Tsp Grated Orange Peel
1/2 Cup Fresh Orange Juice
2 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs Dry Italian Dressing Mix

Place first four ingredients in a salad bowl, chill. In a skillet sprinkle sugar over almonds, cook over medium heat until the almonds are coated and sugar is dissolved. Let cool. Mix dressing ingredients in a jar, chill and pour salad dressing over chilled salad. Sprinkle with almonds, toss and serve. Serves 8. 

My husband loves to put his own little twists on recipes, so we made a few changes and added cold chicken as protein to the salad. We also added some chinese noodles. The jicama gives the salad enough crunch on its own, but I love me some carbs so I thought it was a great addition. 

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment