Friday, August 2, 2013

If the apron fits...

I have some big shoes to fill. 
Well in this case, it's oven mitts and an apron. 

My mother-in-law Peggy is a deliciously intimidating cook. I feel like so many of my memories of her involve watching her in her kitchen then sitting with the family as we devour her latest edible gift. I think she developed her talent for all things cuisine when she and her young family spent several years living in France. I mean, you don't take cooking classes from the professional chef to the Rothchilds (at the Ritz Carlton in Paris mind you) and not become a culinary bad ass.

And herein lies the problem. I'm now married to a man who's stomach is used to a lifetime of Peggy's spoils. Ramen noodles and tuna sandwiches are just not going to cut it. 

Luckily, a few years ago I was gifted the Holy Grail; The Nelson Family Cook Book. As I flipped through the book, you couldn't help but feel the love, the nostalgia, the flavors, that were all packed into this binder. I decided it would be fun (and terrifying) to cook my way through my mother in law's cook book this year. 



And that brings us to this blog. Why not document this foolish adventure online so everyone can share in my epic foodie fails? Every accidental swap of sugar for salt, every burnt cookie edge, every fallen souffle, will be shared here for your reading enjoyment. And hey, maybe every now and then when we fail in the kitchen I'll spare you a recipe and do a restaurant review instead. There will probably be a lot of those then...

Bon Appetite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment