Sunday, July 16, 2017

Summer Squash Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

I figured it was time I dust off the ol' blog because I finally made something good enough today worth repeating. Life has been crazy and lots of quick meals and eating out has been happening but today I cooked, I grilled, and I baked. The winner recipe of all my efforts today was this delicious lemon poppy seed cake. It tastes as delicious as the stuff made by store bakeries, but the ingredients are a lot more simple and probably a lot more healthy. Sorry my photos aren't food blogger worthy, but the recipe is so good I'm documenting it anyway.




Ingredients:
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups grated summer squash
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Directions, add all ingredients together slowly in order on low in mixer. Spray 2 loaf pans with non stick spray (generously) and bake at 325 for 1 hour or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted. 

I've seen several of these types of recipes include and icing glaze but these are perfect without one. 

1 comment:

  1. Try with butter substitute like applesauce to reduce the fat

    ReplyDelete